Annual Fund FAQs
Contributed Income Questions and Answers
What is the Montessori School of Maui Parents Annual Giving Campaign?
Each year the Montessori School of Maui asks parents and friends of the school to make a tax-deductible contribution to the Parents Annual Giving Campaign. These gifts go directly into the operating budget and are used to support every aspect of life at the school, including faculty salaries, maintenance of our lovely campus, utilities and library materials.
Why does the school need gifts from parents?
Thanks to sound business practices, tuition and fees cover 80% of the costs associated with each child’s education. The school relies upon support from parents, grandparents and members of our community to cover this gap.
How can my gift make much of a difference?
Your gift, when added to those of other Montessori School of Maui parents and friends, has a large impact on our school. Your participation helps the school qualify for foundation grants and sends a message to the community that the Montessori School of Maui does make a difference.
Why not just raise Tuition?
The Montessori School of Maui is committed to an economically-diverse student body. Raising tuition to cover all our costs may make a Montessori education prohibitive for many current families, including those with more than one child at the school.
Should I give if I receive Financial Aid?
Yes! Even though many families make financial sacrifices to pay their tuition, it is still important for each member of our community to participate at some level to our Parents Annual Giving Camapaign. Gifts of all sizes truly make a difference! Many foundation partners look very closely at the percentage of parents supporting the school before they make their contribution to support important iniatives such as our Tuition Assistance Program.
How May I Make a Gift?
· Cash / Check - A cash gift entitles the donor to an income tax charitable deduction in the year in which the gift is received. Please make checks payable to the Montessori School of Maui.
· Credit Card - A credit card gift is recognized at full cash value on the date processed. The school accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Optional automatic monthly deductions from your credit card are also available. Click Here to give online right now.
· Stock - In most cases, an outright gift of appreciated securities entitles the donor to an income tax charitable deduction for the fair market value of the securities. To download a Stock Transfer Form, visit this page.
· Gifts-In-Kind - Gifts-In-Kind are non-monetary contributions given for use at the School. The school assigns no dollar value to these gifts but does furnish a gift receipt. It is the responsibility of the donor and their tax advisor to assign a value to this gift for tax purposes.
· Matching Gifts - Double or even triple your contribution! Many employers match their employee’s contributions to independent schools.
· Planned Gifts - Planned gifts are made through bequests, trusts, insurance and annuity programs designated to build the School’s endowment and provide a tax deduction to the donor.
Have you considered a gift of stock?
A charitable contribution of long-term appreciated stock is one of the most tax-efficient ways to suppor the school. Here are two key advantages:
· Any long-term appreciated securities with unrealized gains (meaning they were purchased over a year ago, and have a current value greater than their original cost) may be donated to a charity and a tax deduction taken for the full fair market value of the securities (up to 30% of the donor's adjusted gross income.)
· Since the securities are donated rather than sold, capital gains taxes and the medicare surcharge tax from selling the securities do not apply. The more appreciation the securities have, the greater the tax savings will be.
Please consult your tax professional if you have any questions about this type of deduction.